nothing much. just my thoughts and any triviality i encounter. prepare to be bored by my usual whines about single-"blessedness" and age problems. and oh, did i mention relationships?????

Sunday, September 14, 2008

my other entry for 2bU! (unpublished, Wu Chun this is for you hakhak)

An Encounter with the Romantic Princes

On an ordinary Sunday afternoon, I would be holed up in my room watching reruns of my favorite shows for the nth time; and boring myself out of my wits. Today is different though, I just had the chance to meet two of the most popular poster boys of this generation: Wu Chun and Calvin Chen.

Both are members of the uber successful Taiwanese boy group Fahrenheit, which I hope to see performing on Philippine shores. They’re also the lead stars of the hottest TV show everyone is clamoring for, ABS CBN’s Romantic Princess.

Before this, I was already following another chinovela where Wu Chun was leading man to Taiwanese sensation Ella: Hana Kimi, The Original. I was unemployed at the time and I had all afternoons free just so I can watch Brian and Joey’s very quirky love story. From there, I started to veer away from the usual American shows and discovered a growing fondness for Asian romcoms (romantic comedies).

Watching these actors on TV is just a bit different from seeing them in person. Heart-warming and charming on-screen, these actors know how to tug on heartstrings armed with a glance-and-smile combo. No wonder girls of all ages can’t help but admire them, and boys get ideas on how to treat the one they are courting.

On a personal level, Chun and Calvin are like their characters in Romantic Princess in some ways. According to Calvin, like Ralph, he is very outgoing and a gentleman to all his friends and family; while Chun says that he wants to do a lot of things on his own, similar to his character. On the other hand, they too, have their own worries and problems in life that everybody else experiences.

I can say that anyone who gets close to these guys can feel the warmth and sincerity their smiles bring. I observed how they answered questions on one talkshow and noticed the level of friendship they share, and by the time I met them, I saw the same thing. Calvin is more of the animated type, and answered all questions with a smile and hand gestures. There were times when he would be teasing with Chun and gave out laughter that was so contagious. Chun is a bit laid back, and always looked into the eyes while he replied to questions. They know how to make people comfortable although they know their star status.

Another fact interesting to me is how much they immerse themselves into their roles but still keep a huge part of themselves. The friendliness they portray on TV is apparent when face to face with them, especially when they meet someone new, complete with a firm handshake.

I had fears of being snubbed, because of horror stories going around about celebrities. But talking to the two of them felt like we had known each other for years. I felt their eagerness to express themselves and it’s nice to hear all the goodness that they want to spread through their TV projects.

All in all, today went very well. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is disappointed when they meet their heroes. I won’t be bragging much about the fact that I met them, because what fans see on TV is very much the same in person. I will continue to watch the remaining two weeks that Romantic Princess has on air, and enjoy every moment of it. And so far, this is one of the most worthwhile Sundays I’ve ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home